In this post, I am going to truly speak from the heart. No marketing. No bullshit. No spin. Not like I really do a lot of that. I just want to make sure we are clear. I am not trying to shape perspectives of my work, encourage people to play my games, etc. I am just speaking right to you about where I stand.
The Past Year: A Review
My son's 1st birthday is coming up in about a month. At this time last year, I was pushing to finalize Synapse. I had started on the game around Thanksgiving 2009. But in July of 2010, I was burning through the final work on my side because I had to get the game published. I figured that once he popped out of the womb, I would have to deep six everything I was doing.
What I didn't realize was that writing RPGs had become my entertainment, almost totally consuming my free time. This would continue even through the boy's first months of life. I released Synapse when he was about a month old. I missed my deadline. Errant followed about 3 months later. And other games kept coming off the line. Bam, bam, bam. Once I gave up video games and television pretty much completely, I had a lot more free time that I realized.
The degree of learning that I have experience in the past year is nearly impossible for me to explain to you unless you have undergone something similar. I have written so much material, both on my blog and in my games, that any illusions that I was a "writer" or "creative" person before that fateful day in 2009 when Synapse was first typed into InDesign have been completely dispelled. No. To be a writer or creative, you must actually write or create. I have done that. In fairly substantial quantities. And it has changed me.
I have said this to some of my friends and they always try to dismiss it. But I mean it sincerely.
When I look at my books, for the most part, I only see the errors.
You may see a lot of great things. I usually don't. I see a box that is slightly misaligned. I see a font choice that could be better. I see a malfomed paragraph, a typo, or I think of a better image choice for that page than what I chose. I see failure. Before you follow my friends' dismissive reactions, watch this video.
My feelings about my work are normal. That I know it is normal makes it much easier for me to tolerate. But I still really feel that way about my work. For this reason, failure to get nominated for an Ennie or even just some random critique dropped by someone in a cruel manner can cut deep deep deep. That insecurity runs deep because I feel it is true.
No... I know it is true. And as I struggle to move towards that top tier of skill, I have to be honest with myself. There are serious deep flaws in the work I am doing. I have to know that in order to fix it. I have to realize it to prevent it from happening. This is like Alcoholics Anonymous. The first step is recognizing you have a problem. Otherwise, you live in a world of denial.
And again, this is normal. So I accept it with no bitter feelings. But it just sucks. It sucks hard and I know that I face a long difficult road. There has been a lot of talk in the RPG blogosphere the past few days on the subject of quitting. Let me make absolutely clear, I have no such ideas. None. No matter how many fights and arguments I get into. No matter how many awards I don't get nominated for. No matter how hard it is to fight to the next level.
I am here to stay.
The Path Forward
There are currently three projects on my radar. One shines brightly (Novarium), the others are on the back burner. However, eventually the passion for Novarium will fade and I will switch off. This is my way.
However, I plan on making advancements in the next year along three fronts.
1. I plan on making a number of layout improvements in the next year. As a self-taught layout design person, there are huge holes in my knowledge. I am pushing to close them. My next post is going to be about a number of areas that I think need to be improved.
2. I have figured out a new marketing strategy. Not just new to me, new to RPGs as a whole. I am going to be deploying Novarium and Forlorn Hope in a way that uses this strategy. It involves a lot of research on my part. And there is some risk. It may not work. It has not been tried, as far as I know. But this is going to hopefully have an enormous impact on how my games are recieved going forward. I aim to bring in a huge supply of new blood.
3. I have mentioned several times already that I am aiming for high craftsmanship in my products going forward. If that means a slower release schedule, longer hours on my part, much more editing work and revision, then so be it. I have repeatedly asked for pointed criticism of my work so that I may improve. I have had several people provide me with some exceptionally good critical commentary on Devil's Fork. I plan on incorporating those views going forward as Novarium develops (after all, Devil's Fork is being rolled into Novarium).
This is the first real step into the 2nd year of design for me. Now it's time to start walking.
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(984)
-
▼
July
(721)
- Doctor Gyno Exam Free Pics and
- Purple Roses Cute Wallpaper
- Sound Off Column - Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, Sand...
- Movie Review: Captain America
- Movie Review: The Obama Deception
- Christianity And Race Relations
- Atheists Sue Over Cross At September 11th Memorial...
- Maya in Guatemala: Seeds, Ceremonies and the Year ...
- King's Treasure At Merchants Square, Williamsburg,...
- i i
- asthma
- Bird Bath
- U20 WC: Portugal v. Uruguay 720p HD [POR]
- BRASILEIRÃO: Cruzeiro v. Botafogo 720p HD [POR]
- Free Font: Playdate & Playdate Bold!
- Photo Run/Walk Protecting Mother Earth North Dakota
- 2011 Corolla
- THOUGHT FOR A SATURDAY EVENING..
- Flowers And Friends At Merchants Square, Colonial ...
- The Reaping Race
- Justin Bieber And Sean Kingston Swarmed On South B...
- You screwed with the wrong guy, Hewitt..
- As Rupert Murdoch And Family Try To Pin Their Phon...
- Rupert Murdoch And Company Are Trying To Rule The ...
- Kabalah Rabbi Brutally Killed By Schizophrenic Mem...
- Is Kim Kardashian Getting Too Clingy With Fiancé
- Hugh Heffner's Young Fiancée Says He Is Bad In Bed
- Easy Equine Afternoon, Colonial Williamsburg, Virg...
- Soulja Boy Buys $55 Million Dollar Jet
- What is an RPG?
- How Rembrandt Changed the Face of Jesus
- BRASILEIRÃO: Vasco v. Bahia 720p HD [POR]
- Space is Ace
- #123 High Waist HotPants 2
- #122 High Waist PaperBag Capri
- # 121 Highwaist Coloured Shorts
- BRASILEIRÃO: Atletico Mineiro v. Fluminense 720p H...
- Mandy and Todd's Wedding
- Revisionism..
- Chief Looking Horse speaks at Protecting Mother Ea...
- Fiji | Travel Wallpaper
- protect our colostomy bags
- Harlee Mcbride
- film stars worldwide
- Free Computer Wallpaper
- Dragon Ball Z
- Flag Football
- Shape Poems
- Flag of New Zealand
- landscape desktop background 2
- My Background Borders Design
- Cute Puppies
- Spring Break Bikini Contest
- Modified Yamaha Vixion Red Custom Full Fairing
- Honda Vario Low Rider Black Modified
- Life Quotes Graohics
- require that male gymnasts
- Girl Backgrounds
- I love swimming laps
- Pauley Perrette as Tanya
- Free wallpaper desktop
- to Butterflies Screensaver
- Randy Orton WWE Superstar
- Disney Online
- Friends Seasons 1 10 DVD
- Motions of the Planets
- Nature Desktop Wallpapers
- Sonam Kapoor Wallpapers
- of Vanessa Hudgens
- Wallpapers Free Download
- Groshong PICC
- Free Harley Davidson
- jam
- Jamestown Settlement Replica Ship, Williamburg, Vi...
- Renewed Outrage In Britain Over Rupert Murdoch's N...
- Murdoch Family Ties To Phone Hacking Judge Leveson...
- Pippa Middleton's Bottom Continues To Overshadow T...
- Reggie Bush Signs With The Miami Dolphins No Doubt...
- The Mo'Nique Show Is Cancelled
- Hollywood Sales Plummet
- Better than one
- Playdate!
- PHOTOS Protecting Mother Earth Gathering North Dak...
- Here are 18 minutes you need to watch..
- LISTEN LIVE TODAY: IEN Protecting Mother Earth Jul...
- Casey Anthony And Her Family Are Demanding A Lot O...
- Piers Morgan Admits To Phone Hacking In The News C...
- Rupert Murdoch Is A Hypocrite For Breaking Up Many...
- Lexus cars IS 250 review models & pictures
- Lexus cars pics spcifications detals review models
- Preview of a new font--and kit!
- The Kimball Theatre At Merchants Square, Williamsb...
- Obama's Poll Numbers Implode Into Disaster
- British Police Chief Slams Rupert Murdoch
- Building My Own Salon
- BARCLAYS ASIA TROPHY: Kitchee v. Chelsea 720p HD [...
- goner
- Hansel and Gretel Furniture
- WIDE LOAD FLOTUS opens up a second front..
- Indigenous Environmental Network gets ready for li...
- Teeeny Teaser
- #120 Contrast Peterpan Collar Top
- #119 Two-way Sleeves Top
- Cracks in the Jug-Eared Whiff too...
- Eeyore and Hercules..
- demise pearl
- Template Tuesdays (Freebie Template)
- Will William Be Tempted By Pippa Middleton
- Visiting in the Garden Shop, Colonial Williamsburg...
- How American Artist Robert Henri Found Himself Aga...
- News Corp Faces Worldwide Boycotts
- Amy Winehouse's Funeral Held In London
- for your special morning
- Sacher Confiserie Shops
- Flash Backgrounds Dog
- Why I am using Google+
- Funny Videos
- Arizona Lulzsec files: Operation Gunrunner weapons...
- COPA AMERICA (3rd Place): Peru v. Venezuela 720p H...
- Bird Crop Impaction
- Car Wallpapers | backgrounds
- Arizona: Living and dying 'Under Arpaio'
- LOOSE ENDS
- Honda VFR1200F Wallpapers
- Wwe Jeff Hardy
- Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F Pictures
- yamaha v-ixion supersport
- Camaro z28
-
▼
July
(721)